Thursday 4th March 2021
Dear Parents and carers,
We hope that this letter finds you and your family in good health. We are very much looking forward to welcoming all children back into school from Monday 8th March and would like to take this opportunity to share some important information.
The Department for Education has made it clear that all children are expected to return from Monday 8th and attendance will be mandatory. We have been busy ensuring that school is fully prepared for all pupils returning and have completed a whole school Risk Assessment (approved by our Governing body), this outlines the steps and measures we are taking as a school to minimise risk and keep all staff, children and families safe. You can read our Risk Assessment on the school website by following the link below:
Staggered arrival at the start and end of the school day
To minimise risk and help parents, carers and families to maintain safe distancing we will be continuing with the routines for dropping off and collecting children at the start and end of each day that we established between September and January. Please see the details below:
- School will still be operating a one-way system of movement around the outside of the school building
- The main entrance gate will be the school gate on Burton Road (opposite TESCO)
- Pupils in Y4/5/6 may want to use the entrance opposite the main school office
- Families will be asked to move in a one-way system around the school building to drop off or collect children directly from classroom doors (starting with youngest children)
- When parents/carers are waiting to drop off or collect children from outside classroom doors we ask that you please maintain social distancing at all times
- All families will be asked to exit the school site via the gate on Burton Avenue
We are continuing with the system of staggered arrival and collection times that we had in place from September to January to support social distancing; we will continue to do this using family surnames rather than different ages as we are aware that many families have more than one child attending school and dropping off multiple children at different times could be challenging. To help keep all adults and children as safe as we can, please can you ensure that you follow the timings outlined below:
Arrival each day:
- Families with surnames starting with the letters A – J please arrive at the school gates from 8.30am (if your children have different surnames then please use your youngest child’s surname to determine the time). Families will be asked to move in a one-way system around the school building to drop off or collect children directly from classroom doors (starting with youngest children)
- Families with surnames starting with the letters K – Z please arrive at the school gates from 8.45am (if your children have different surnames then please use your youngest child’s surname to determine the time). Families will be asked to move in a one-way system around the school building to drop off or collect children directly from classroom doors (starting with youngest children)
- School gates will close at 8.55am
Collecting children each day:
- Families with surnames starting with the letters A – J please arrive at the school gate from 2.50pm (if your children have different surnames then please use your youngest child’s surname to determine the time). Families will be asked to move in a one-way system around the school building to drop off or collect children directly from classroom doors (starting with youngest children)
- Families with surnames starting with the letters K – Z please arrive at the school gate from 3.10pm (if your children have different surnames then please use your youngest child’s surname to determine the time). Families will be asked to move in a one-way system around the school building to drop off or collect children directly from classroom doors (starting with youngest children)
- School gates will close at 3.25pm
Breakfast provision and After School Clubs
We are pleased to be able to continue to offer the breakfast provision we provided from September until January for every child as they arrive in their class each morning – this will be toast, fruit/yoghurt and some fruit juice.
We will be sending out information about our After School Club provision and inviting parents/carers to apply for places. Our After School Provision will begin after the Easter Holidays.
We can assure you that as a school, we continue to be committed to minimising risk for all children and adults. Some of the main principles of this risk assessment are outlined below:
- Children and staff will be based in class and year group ‘pods’ or ‘bubbles’
- Different ‘pods/bubbles’ will not mix (including at break and lunchtimes)
- Each ‘pod/bubble’ will use a consistent classroom/space in school
- Regular and thorough cleaning will take place throughout the day in all areas of school
- Children and staff will be washing hands regularly throughout the day
- Resources and equipment will be in individual pencil cases for children or class based and cleaned thoroughly between use if used by more than one class
- Any child or adult presenting with symptoms will have designated spaces in school to wait, prior to going home as soon as possible and have access to the national test, track and trace system
- Parents/carers and visitors will not be in the school building unless this has been prior arranged and staff will maintain contact with parents through telephone calls
Parents and carers supporting us to keep each other safe
Please can we ask that you maintain social distancing and respect other parents and families at all times; ensuring you keep an appropriate distance when waiting outside of school, when moving around the school site and when collecting or dropping off your child/speaking to staff on classroom doors. Please can we ask all parents/carers to wear a facemask or visor when on the school site (unless you have a medical exemption).
Children in Year 5 and Year 6 with permission to walk to and from school
Children in Year 5/6 whose parents/carers have given permission (in the Autumn term) for their child/children in Year 5/6 to walk to and from school can continue to do so. Please can we remind you that if you no longer want this permission to be in place to please contact school.
Please can all children wear their school uniform each day. There is no need for pupils to be wearing different clothing each day and we would just recommend that uniform is washed regularly. As we will be keeping school well ventilated, please can you ensure that your child/children bring their school jumper of cardigan. On the days when your child/children have PE, please can they attend school in their school PE kit.
Any changes to contact information, medical information/allergies
If there have been any changes to your contact details (telephone numbers, address etc…) please can we ask you to telephone the school office to make us aware. It is essential that we have the most up-to-date contact telephone numbers for all families. If there have been any changes to your child/children’s medical needs including allergies please can we also ask that you make school aware as soon as possible.
Work completed at home during remote learning
It has been fantastic to see the work that children have been completing at home and uploading to their ‘Class DoJo’ – thank you for all of the brilliant work so many of you have done in supporting children to continue to learn at home. Please can we ask that all children bring their work-books/ any work sheets that they have been completing at home with them when they return to school on Monday 8th.
Our teaching team
We are delighted to be welcoming back Mrs Mackenzie following her maternity leave. Mrs Mackenzie and Mrs Chaudhry will be teaching in Class 4a. With Miss Robinson teaching full time in Class 4b.
We have wished Miss Newell and Miss Brough every success as they move on from Hunslet Moor Primary and our Year 1 team will now include Miss Lopez teaching in Class 1b (Miss Lopez is very familiar with our Year 1 children having worked in school since November).
Mrs Graham, who leads our nursery team alongside Mrs Gray, is unfortunately not well enough to be in school at the moment. Miss Klavdianou will be working alongside Mrs Gray in Mrs Graham’s absence and we wish Mrs Graham well in her recovery.
Friday 5th March
To enable us to prepare the school building for the return of all pupils, we are completing a deep clean across school. We have liaised with the Chair of Governors and made the decision to close the school building to all children on Friday 5th March; moving learning online for this day for all pupils. Work and learning activities will be uploaded by teachers on Friday. Teachers will be working hard on Friday to ensure are curriculum and learning is ready for all children returning so they will not be marking any work uploaded on Friday, instead we are very much looking forward to seeing the work and learning in children’s books when they return with these into school on Monday 8th March. Your support with this is greatly appreciated.
Our school office will still be open on Friday 5th March and if you have any questions please do not hesitate to telephone on: 0113 2717257
We thank you for your support and understanding and ask that you continue to support us by following the plans we have out in place for the safety and wellbeing of all.
Simon Crawford and Hannah Darley