We have places available in our Nursery provision – please read below to find out how to apply for a place.
Welcome to Hunslet Moor Nursery!
Here in Hunslet Moor Early Years we will provide your child with a stimulating and caring learning environment.
We encourage all children to try new activities whilst learning about themselves, their friends and families and the world around them.
Children learn best when they are having fun so we aim to ensure that every child enjoys their time in Nursery and looks forward to coming to school each day.
Morning session 9.00 – 12.00
Afternoon session 12.10 – 3.10
We offer flexible places, where children attend for two and half days per week and 30 hour places.
Nursery admissions policy
To enrol your child into Nursery:
- Visit or phone our school to register your child on our Nursery waiting list.
- Children are able to start Nursery when they are three years old. You will receive a phone call to arrange a home visit so that we can come and meet you and your child before their first day.
- After a home visit your child will be given a start date and will be invited to join our Nursery.
- In the case of a waiting list, priority will be given to the oldest children first, as Nursery is an important step before entering full time education in Reception. After this; priority will be given in the order that children were registered on the waiting list.
Starting Nursery is an exciting time for children and we aim to make it as happy as possible. To allow children time to settle in, everybody will receive their own start date. We gradually increase the number of children each day until everybody has been admitted. In Nursery Parents and Carers may need to stay with their child for the first session to help them to feel settled.
Coming into Nursery
We invite Parents and Carers to bring their child into Nursery and help them to find their name card for self registration. Our routine is shown below;
- Children come in and hang their own coats up.
- Parents and Carers bring their child in and help them to find their name card (Nursery staff will show you what to do).
- Children choose whatever they would like to do.
Parents and Carers are welcome to stay with their child for a short while but sometimes staying for too long can be confusing for young children. We will work together with you to help your child feel settled and discuss their needs with you when they start.
The Key Person Role
Every child in our Early Years will have a Key Person who will be working in our Nursery or Reception. Their Key Person will take time to build a strong relationship with them and get to know you as Parents or Carers so that you feel able to talk to them about your child. They may spend time working with your child in a small group and will always make time to speak to them each day. This Key Person will get to know your child really well and make sure that they feel confident to talk about their needs and feelings. Your child’s Key Person will be introduced to you when they start Nursery or Reception. Their Key Person will stay the same throughout Nursery or Reception as this relationship is very important to help your child’s social and emotional development.
Your Child’s Profile
In the Early Years your child will have their own ‘profile’. This is where we save any work that your child has done in Nursery or Reception. We take lots of photographs and write observations of your child when they are playing to assess their learning throughout the year. Please feel welcome to look at your child’s Profile at any time to see how they are getting on in school.
You spend a lot of time with your child and you know them better than anyone. We really encourage Parents and Carers to write comments in their child’s profile or tell an adult in Nursery or Reception if you prefer. We would like to know:
- What they have been doing at home
- What they are good at
- If you have been helping them to learn at home
The profile is a chance to share learning at home and school so please do add to your child’s profile. If you are unsure what to write then we will always be happy to help.
Parents and Carers Make the World of Difference
We really value the importance of Parents and Carers and believe that you are the key to your child’s success. You know your child better than anybody and you can really help your child to succeed in life.
We are committed to working with you to make sure that your child achieves their best.
We work hard to build links between home and school by:
- Making all Parents and Carers feel welcome in school.
- Inviting Parents and Carers into school to take part in activities and see their child learning in class.
- Keeping Parents and Carers informed about their child’s progress and development.
- Listening to Parents and Carers and answering any questions.
- Inviting Parents and Carers to share their ideas through our ‘comments book’ and regular questionnaires.
- Sending home reading books and Learning Logs for you to do with your child.
- Telling Parents and Carers about any classes they may find useful.
- Helping Parents and Carers to find help and advice when they need it.
- Getting to know each family well and being there when they need us. We are here for every child and every family.If you would like to know more about anything please feel welcome to come and speak to one of the Nursery or Reception team.
If you have any further questions, would like to know more about our Nursery provision or would like to arrange a visit, please contact our Nursery Lead staff; Mrs Kelly Graham (Mon – Wed) or Mrs Sam Gray (Wed-Fri) via our school office telephone number: 0113 2717257 .
We look forward to working together with you in our Early Years.